From Zero to SSIS! is designed to train technology professionals in the fine art of using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) to build data integration and Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) solutions. The three-day course is focused around labs and emphasizes a hands-on approach.
Day 1Lesson 0: Introduction
- Training Overview, Expectations, and Introductions
Lesson 1: Creating Your First SSIS package
- Introduction to Business Intelligence Development Studio
- Visual Studio tips and tricks, menu contents and locations
- Exercise: Create an SSIS Project
Lesson 2: Introduction to the Data Flow Task
- Introduction to the Data Flow Task
- Connection Manager and Data Flow Task basics: source and destination adapters
- Exercise: Straight to the Data Flow
Lesson 3: Data Flow Task 201
- Intermediate Data Flow Concepts
- Building re-executable data loaders
- Exercise: Create a Real Data Flow, Parts 1 and 2
Day 2Lesson 4: Data Flow Task 202
- Advanced Data Flow Concepts
- Building and tuning robust incremental loader
- Exercise: Create a Real Data Flow, Parts 3 and 4
Lesson 5: The Control Flow
- Containers, Precedence, and Workflow
- Transactions, restart-ability, and blocking
- Exercise: Sequence Containers
Day 3Lesson 6: Event Handlers, Logging, and Configurations
- Survey of SSIS Event Handlers Focusing on OnError and OnInformation Events
- Using SSIS’s built-in logging facility to capture package execution details
and statistics, and built-in package configurations to externalize variable values
- Exercise: Trapping and Logging Errors, Part 1
Lesson 7: Security, Deployment, and Execution
- SSIS Package Deployment Options and Security Implications
- Execution options
- Exercise: Package Execution Options
Lesson 8: ETL Design Patterns
- Leveraging Less-Documented Features of SSIS with the Parent-Child Design Pattern
to Achieve“hands-free” Custom Logging and Creative Custom Configuration.
- ETL Instrumentation
- Exercise: Exercise: Trapping and Logging Errors, Part 2
Intended AudienceThe target audience for this training is database professionals, application developers, and business intelligence practitioners interested in acquiring or expanding their existing SSIS skill set.
PrerequisitesNo experience with SQL Server or SQL Server Integration Services is required before attending this training. It is helpful (but not required) that students possess some knowledge of and experience with relational databases. SQL Server knowledge/experience will be more helpful than experience and knowledge with other technologies.
What You Will Learn
Andy Leonard is an Architect with Molina Medicaid Solutions, SQL Server database and Integration Services developer, SQL Server MVP, PASS Regional Mentor, and engineer. He is a co-author of Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Services and SQL Server MVP Deep Dives. Andy blogs for SQLBlog.com.
His background includes web application architecture and development, VB, and ASP; SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS); data warehouse development using SQL Server 2000, 2005 and 2008.
Location: Your City?
Registration: TBD Click here to request this course
Data Educaiton accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, PayPal, eCheck, personal & business checks and purchase orders.
Course Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Download the full course details in a convenient PDF
Using a Purchase Order or Check?
If a purchase order is required for invoice, please send us the P.O. number using our contact form. Be sure to indicate the course title and attendee name(s) in your message.
We accept personal and business checks for course registrations up to 15 business days before the start date of the desired course. If paying by check, remember that it can take up to 5 business days to arrive at our office through postal mail depending on your location. Please include a note telling us the course title and attendee name(s), and make your check payable to:
15 Lincoln Street
Wakefield, MA 01880