Over a year ago now I announced a rough port of sp_whoisactive to Azure SQL Database. This worked thanks to Microsoft finally aligning the Azure DMVs to the box product DMVs…until Microsoft decided to rip out one of the key DMVs, sys.dm_os_sys_info and its ms_ticks column. This column is the key to unlocking various metrics in some of the other SQLOS DMVs.
I tried to get my contacts at Microsoft to listen to me about restoring it, but my efforts were met with nothing but silence and lots of wasted time.
So I set about looking for a workaround. This week I think I’ve finally managed to get something working that approximates the number I need from that view, ms_ticks.
Attached is sp_whoisactive v11.112 — Azure Special Edition v2. Please give it a shot, and I am especially interested in feedback if you use the @get_task_info = 2 option when running sp_whoisactive. That is the main use case that’s impacted by the lack of ms_ticks information and my attempt at a workaround.
Thanks for your patience as I worked this out! Enjoy.
File Attachment: sp_whoisactive_v11_112.zip